Brackett’s Landing (north side) is a great park, located just west of downtown Edmonds and north of the Edmonds Ferry dock at Main St. & Railroad Ave. (GPS: 47.8138° N 122.3824° W)
The sandy beach is a great place for kids. The highlight of this park is the underwater area. Divers will find a complete “city” laid out here. There is a fresh-water shower where divers can rinse off after exiting the water. For non-divers, it’s interesting to watch the divers gearing up and entering and leaving the water.
This sign gives the history of Brackett’s Landing.
Here is the text on the sign:
George Brackett founded Edmonds in 1876 and established the first sawmill here in 1889. Logging and shingle mills were at the center of Edmonds’ economy. At one time fourteen mills lined the shoreline from Brackett’s Landing to Olympic Beach. The last mill in Edmonds closed in 1951.
This site was purchased in 1963 and named in honor of George Brackett. The jetty was constructed in 1989; in 1993 upland improvements were completed.
In 1970 the City created the adjoining Underwater Park; a 27-acre marine preserve and sanctuary. It was one of the first underwater parks on the West Coast. The site includes tide and bottom lands developed with features and trails for scuba divers. Collecting marine life, fishing, or using motorized boats is prohibited.
The photo below was taken from Sunset Drive, looking over Brackett’s Landing Park and the Edmonds Ferry Terminal toward the Olympic Mountains.
Brackett’s Landing Locator Map: Google Maps